HOW CAN CONTACT LENSES SLOW DOWN THE PROGRESSION OF SHORT-SIGHTEDNESS IN CHILDREN?
Myopia, or short-sightedness, is one of the most common eye health issues in children and means that they can’t see objects that are far away, causing their vision to blur.
Symptoms usually appear between the ages of 8 and 12 and can get progressively worse over time, with most children quickly becoming reliant on glasses to see clearly into the distance.
According to a 2019 study in the Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences journal, more than 32% of the world’s population suffers from myopia, with that figure estimated to rise to 50% by 2050.
Research indicates that short sightedness has become more prevalent in recent years due to the amount of time now spent in front of digital screens. Children will also be more likely to develop myopia if one or both of their parents are also myopic. As a child’s vision continue to deteriorate, they can also face an increased risk of developing sight threatening conditions later in life, such as glaucoma, retinal detachment, and myopic maculopathy.
How do i know if my child has myopia?
Our optometrists will be able to diagnose if your child has myopia, but the first signs that might indicate there is a problem with their vision might include:
- Blurred vision
- Squinting or partially closing the eyes to see
- Difficulty seeing at night
How can i help my child to see clearly again?
There are many solutions to helping children with myopia see better. Among the best is the revolutionary MiSight contact lenses.
These soft, daily disposable lenses are designed to correct the refractive error and slow the elongation of the eye through ActivControl Technology, by creating something called myopic defocus. This successfully slows the progression of myopia in children, helping them enjoy more comfortable vision and reducing their risk of developing more serious related eye conditions in the future.
MiSight 1-day lenses offer a variety of benefits for wearers:
- A recent study conducted over three years found MiSight 1-day lenses can reduce the rate of myopia progression by 59%.
- MiSight 1-day lenses also offer the convenience of an affordable daily solution to vision correction.
- These soft, daily disposable contact lenses are comfortable and easy to use. Most children can adapt to their new lenses within a month.
- MiSight 1-day lenses also allow children to continue with regular activities without the risk of breaking or losing their glasses.
- Children who wear MiSight 1-day lenses can experience more confidence both in school and otherwise, as they are no longer exposed to any stigma associated with wearing glasses.
Are contact lenses safe for children?
Absolutely! Contact lenses are as safe for children as adults when worn correctly. MiSight 1-day lenses are disposable, which provides an added level of safety, as this reduces the chances of infection or discomfort.
How can my child learn to wear misight contact lenses?
At Bunker Opticians, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest level of eyecare. We work with new MiSight wearers to ensure they enjoy all the benefits and comforts of this revolutionary contact lens technology.
Before you take your lenses home, we will do a complete tutorial, including showing your child how to use contact lenses correctly so they can walk away feeling confident about wearing their MiSight contact lenses.
If you suspect your child has myopia or are looking for an alternative myopia correction solution to glasses, why not contact Bunker Opticians today to book an eye exam or a contact lens consultation with one of our contact lens specialists today?